As an American citizen, one is guaranteed certain inalienable
rights: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. In Evan Wolfson’s essay, What is Marriage?, he addresses the
right to marriage, specifically the right for homosexuals to marry. He argues that
because homosexual marriage is not legal in all fifty states, homosexual
couples are not receiving many of the perceptible rights of marriage. By denying
homosexual couples the privilege to marry, they are missing out on the benefits
of marriage and, perhaps, their right to happiness.
One point that Wolfson makes is that
unmarried same-sex couples, who have children together, are not entitled to receive family health insurance through whom
they are employed. Is it really just to deny a family from being insured, just
because of the parent’s sexual orientation? I do not believe so. Another point
that Wolfson makes is that marriage is a universal representation of a couple’s
love and dedication to each other. Is it really appropriate to refuse a couple
the privileges to be recognized in this way? The emotional toll it would take
on a couple is unfathomable to me! Whether you support homosexual unions or are
against homosexuality completely, I think that everyone can agree that all
persons should be given equal rights. This includes the right to marriage.
Homosexual couples are not
guaranteed the same rights as married heterosexual couples; homosexual couples,
in most states, are denied the right to marry, and therefore, do not receive the
benefits that marriage brings. While I would never choose to participate in the
homosexual lifestyle and do not condone the lifestyle itself, I believe that all
Americans should be given the same rights. All couples deserve the right to
marry.
I appreciate your thoughtful comment on my blog so I'm going to try and return the favor. :) You did a good job conveying your opinion and your argument is very logical. I wouldn't encourage anyone to marry someone of their own sex, I believe it's wrong, I wish it wasn't even an issue, but I definitely understand how you can support the legality of it without condoning it. It takes some maturity to think that way, and I respect you for it.
ReplyDeleteYou hit many good points in your post, although I disagree with your point that homosexual couples are not guaranteed the same rights. Both heterosexuals and homosexuals are given the exact same rights. They both can marry anyone of the opposite gender. The laws just fit the heterosexual lifestyle best. I think thats what you might have been implying, but I just wanted to make the difference clear.
ReplyDeleteThis topic is so hard to discuss because I don't even know my own opinion. If that makes any sense at all! A part of me agrees with you saying that is you love someone go for it no matter the race. And the MAJORITY of me says no that is gross and if you want rights change your darn life style. Ha and then another part of me says who are we to involve ourselves in other relationship matters? I'm sooo confused, But nice post.
ReplyDelete